Friday 18 September 2009

I'm in the mood..

at last! I'm in the mood to make some Christmas cards. I realise now that it's not seasonal, (although the ones I make in December will still be better, because as we discussed a few posts ago, they will be infused with a spirit of the season), nor is it about mojo or remembering to use glitter. It's about having new stamps to play with! And last night, I came home from the Workshop with a carrier bag full. Really. I do not want to invoke jealousy, I want you to share my joy, and possibly what will eventually turn into my pain. So here's the story. (And you know me - I can't make a long story short!)

Annually, for more than a handful of years, I and a friend have staged a 'Card Making Marathon'. Hire a hall, make 20 cards and then supply materials and instructions for a bunch of people to copy 'em. Like a workshop but on a grander scale, lasts longer and for some, a slight time pressure to get lots done. This year for Christmas, I wasn't going to do a Marathon; my access to 'fresh' stamps severely curtailed by foolishly losing a job and my own collection of Christmas stamps severely curtailed by erm, not wanting to use the same old same old. But, friends who like to do the Marathon came up with the idea of lending me stamps. 'So what' they said, if they weren't bang up to date, making the cards using stamps you may not otherwise come across will be great. So, I was flattered into having a run at it. And of course, I spoke to Lady Nurse about it. She rummaged through 2 of her 6 boxes of Christmas stamps (I've talked about her collection here, it's very impressive) and 'lent' me a bag full of stamps to make a start with. A start?! Most of them are unused and Lady Nurse generously would like ideas for them and doesn't mind that in a Marathon environment they'll get a bit used. Mucky, even. I hope you're starting to get a deeper understanding of why I cherish the crafting community. So, I'm as fickle as a fickle thing on fickle day then really - gimme something new and my mojo gets fired up. Although I think this may only apply to rubber stamps. I'll have to report back about the effect of new paper; am fairly sure that I let that sit awhile before I force myself to use it. Maybe that's because it's finite. But with stamps, well, I could go on forever. As you are starting to realise!


13 comments:

Unknown said...

The card marathon sounds like a fab idea and borrowing stamps sounds even better. Being jobless myself at the present time ... I have suddenly realised just how much I used to spend on stamps and storage for the said stamps and then never using them ... having said that I have just treated myself to the entire set of 21 Wendy Vecchi sheets and I find Mr Visa is still very happy to pay ... quite how I shall pay him back is another matter altogether *LOL*

Susie Sugar said...

Great cards Julia , I was going to get the snowy effect cuttlebug embossing folder you used on the penguin card but I thought it looked a bit boring but seeing your card I love the effect you have made and so I am off to buy the folder NOW !! lol
Love Susie xx

Elin said...

I love the idea of a card marathon. It feels really unchristmassy doing cards in september though! How exciting to get a bag full of stamps to use - even if only for a while!

Sally said...

What a brill idea! I started my Xmas cards last month - made 4 then gave up! Did not feel in the "mood" for Xmas! Cards are lovely too!

CoventryAnn said...

I know how you feel about new stash, it really does get the creative juices flowing... But my recEntly enforced stash diet has shown me another way round the 'no new stash' problem, and that's to re-acqaint myself with stash i haven't played with for a while... it worked for me today!

Carmen said...

I don't believe there is another community like the crafting community. It's amazing and constantly, constantly surprises :) I love your cards. I sold my cuttlebug last year to buy christmas pressies... so sure was I that I didn't use it enough to keep it. This year I've seen so much inspiring work using it that I sit evil eyeing Craigs James Bond collection. Wellll... he was happy on the day! *sigh* :P (Would he notice it replaced I wonder! Mwaaahaaahaaa!)

voodoo vixen said...

Well, I love your cards, just wish I could make some half as nice!! My Christmas cards tend not to be brilliant... and I hope the recipients understand the 'thought was there' concept!! It may be that I am leaving the making of them till its panic as I have three hours to last posting date for the rest of the world!!

Smudgemakes said...

I love your cards and am half way through my xmas ones, having had some days off recently! I share your joy, truly I do (however, I do want and NEEEED whatever was in that carrier bag!! What time shall we all come round with our xmas stamps then??? I can bring cake too!!!!

Angie said...

What a fun day your marathon must be ...too much pressure for me but then you dont have to make all the cards .... do you ??? lol. If I lived nearby I'd bring the cakes.
Might suggest this to DD ... for her crop, next year.

AuroraDawn said...

I love the idea of a card marathon, just wish I had the time ....

Fab cards :O)

Judith said...

Love your cards and what a great idea your card marathon is. I share your love of the crafting community for me going to a crop is not always about how much I get done but the social aspect. I love to lend stuff it gives me new ideas about what to do with it. x

Anonymous said...

the house card is beeeee-oootiful, seriously lush

Unknown said...

Love that penguin card! Somewhere around here has a "stamp library". Have you thought of trying a local shop for one?